Hello Friends, I hope all is well with you! I am going to be reviewing the Discover It Miles travel rewards credit card. These opinions are my own, and I am in no way influenced by anyone.
Overall Verdict: This Discover travel rewards credit card has the ability to earn a lot of miles with their first-year matching program. The rewards are also comparable to other travel rewards card; however, this card does not offer all the extra benefits that some other travel cards offer.
Some things about this card I like:
- Matches all cash back earned in first year
- No annual fee
- Redemption is versatile
- No foreign transaction fees
Some things about the card that I don’t like:
- Does not offer extra benefits like other travel cards
- May not be widely accepted in other parts of the world
What type of reward are you getting?
This Discover travel rewards credit card offers you the chance to accumulate travel miles for every dollar that you spend. The miles will accumulate in your account until you want to redeem them. You can either apply the miles as statement credit towards travel expenses or redeem the miles as cash; it’s completely up to you, which is what I like.
Is there an annual fee?
There is no annual fee for this card.
What is the rewards amount?
This is rather a simple reward structure than the Discover It Cash Back rewards card. For this travel rewards credit card, you earn 1.5x miles for every dollar you spend regardless of what you spend it on. There is no rotating category or anything like that, 1.5x miles on everything and there is no limit to the number of miles you can earn.
Is there a bonus offer?
The Discover It Miles travel rewards card comes with a unique bonus offer. It will match all of the miles you have earned at the end of the first year, no matter the number of miles you’ve earned. For example, if you earn 100,000 miles by the end of the first year, Discover will match it mile for mile and award you 100,000 miles, so you would have 200,000 miles by the end of the first year. It’s a pretty sweet deal honestly.
Are there foreign transaction fees?
This Discover travel rewards credit card does not have a foreign transaction fee.
Are there any other benefits?
Where the Discover It Miles card lacks compared to some of the other rewards cards is the extra benefits. Although it has some benefits, it’s nowhere near some of the other rewards cards.
The benefits they offer are:
- FICO credit score check – this is free and does not affect your score for checking
- Card lock – you have the ability to freeze your account if you’ve misplaced your card
- Fraud protection – you won’t be held responsible for fraudulent charges
What is the interest rate and are there any other fees?
They offer you 0% intro APR for 14 months from date of account opening. After the 14 months is up, your APR will be between 11.99% and 22.99%, but it depends on your credit score. Their other fees include:
- Balance transfer fee – 3% until September 2020, then it goes to 5%
- Cash advance fee – $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater.
- Late payment fee – no fee for first late payment but up to $40 after that
- Return payment fee – up to $40
For more information on their fees, check out their fee schedule.
How is the customer service like?
There are a couple of ways to contact Discover. The first way to contact them would be to call the number on the back of your card. The second way would be to login to your account and initiate a live chat with them. The live chat is usually a shorter wait time but wait times may vary throughout the day. It’s important to mention that all their customer service representatives are based in the United States. Another important note to mention is that you may experience longer than usual wait times from time to time, and you may have different experiences with their agents from time to time.
Should you get the Discover It Miles Travel Rewards Credit Card?
Who it’s perfect for:
- People who don’t want an annual fee
- People who don’t want a foreign transaction fee
- People who want the opportunity to double their cash back
- People who don’t spend enough to meet the minimum sign-up bonus on different cards
Who it isn’t perfect for:
- Big spenders
- The people who want all the extra benefits
If you are still unsure if a rewards credit card makes sense, check out my post on Why You Should Use Rewards Credit Cards.
Additionally, if this card isn’t right for you, I invite you to check out my credit cards page for more information on other cards.