Hello Friends, I hope all is well with you! I am going to be reviewing the Journey Student Credit Card from Capital One. These opinions are my own, and I am in no way influenced by anyone.
Overall Verdict: This rewards credit card offers you the chance to not only build your credit score, but it will allow you to earn cash back rewards as you do so. This card is lower on the rewards spectrum, but it does offer the extensive benefits that the other Capital One rewards cards offer. I like it because it offers good extra benefits and is with a good company; the rewards could be higher like some of the other student rewards cards, but it is still a good student card, nonetheless. It’s important to mention that this is a student credit card, and it’s not supposed to be the highest tier card with all the bells and whistles.
Some things about this card I like:
- No annual fee
- Extra benefits
- Only average credit needed
Some things about the card that I don’t like:
- Other student cards offer higher rewards
- No sign-up bonus
What type of reward are you getting?
You will have the opportunity to earn cash back for every dollar that you spend. At the end of the billing cycle, Capital One will take the net purchases you made (purchases minus any returns) and apply the rewards amount to that and then award you the cash back. There is no limit to the amount of cash back you can earn with this card. There are a few ways you can redeem your cash back. You can redeem them for a statement credit, a check, gift cards, statement credit for a previous purchase, or other ways at the discretion of Capital One.
Is there an annual fee?
There is no annual fee for this student rewards credit card.
What is the rewards amount?
This Capital One Student rewards credit card offers you the opportunity to earn 1% cash back on all purchases; there is no limit to the amount you can earn. Additionally, you are able to earn an extra 0.25% in rewards if you pay on time that month, so that makes the full potential rewards for this card is 1.25% for the month.
Is there a bonus offer?
This student rewards credit card does not offer a sign-up bonus.
Are there foreign transaction fees?
There are no foreign transaction fees for this card.
Are there any other benefits?
A great thing about this card is that it comes with most of the major benefits that the other Capital One cards offer. These benefits include:
- Travel accident insurance – this is insurance against a covered loss that results in a trip interruption; you must use your card to purchase the fare
- Extended warranty – you get extended warranty protection on eligible items; you must use your card to purchase that item
- Auto rental collision damage waiver – it provides you secondary rental car insurance, this insurance is only paid out once your primary car insurance has been maxed out for the claim
- 24-hour travel assistance services – if your card has been misplaced or stolen, you can get an emergency replacement card and a cash advance
- $0 fraud liability –you are not responsible for unauthorized charges if card is lost or stolen
- Card lock – you have the ability to lock your card on the app
- Creditwise – you can check your credit score without it being affected
- Account alerts and security alerts – you can set up alerts to notify you when payments are due or other alerts you want to receive. Additionally, Capital One will contact you if they detect a suspicious purchase
What is the interest rate and are there any other fees?
There is no introductory APR for this card; The APR is around 26.49% from the moment the account is opened.
Their other fees include:
- Cash advance fee – $10 or 3% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Late payment fee –up to $39
- Balance transfer fee – there is no balance transfer fee
- Returned payment fee – up to $35
How is the customer service like?
You can contact Capital One’s customer service a few different ways. The first way would be to call the number on the back of the card. The second way would be to send your question or problem via mail and wait for a response. The final way you can have your question or problem resolved is through their chat bot named ENO. ENO will attempt to redirect you to various pages based on what you type in the chat; ENO will also try to answer the most common questions, but you may have to end up calling Capital One based on the complexity of your question or if you are unable to find your answer through ENO. An important note to mention is that you may experience longer than usual wait times from time to time, and you may have different experiences with their agents from time to time.
Should you get the Capital One Student Credit Card?
Who it’s perfect for:
- Students looking to build their credit
- Students who want a no annual fee rewards card
- Students who want no foreign transaction fees
- Students who want the extra benefits
Who it isn’t perfect for:
- Students who only want the highest rewards possible
If you are still unsure if a rewards credit card makes sense, check out my post on Why You Should Use Rewards Credit Cards.
Additionally, if this card isn’t right for you, I invite you to check out my credit cards page for more information on other cards.