Hello Friends, I hope all is well with you! I am going to be reviewing the Blue Cash Everyday rewards credit card from American Express. These opinions are my own, and I am in no way influenced by anyone.
Overall Verdict: The Blue Cash Everyday rewards credit card offers a good amount of cash back on certain categories and good benefits. The cap on some of the categories is something that I am not a big fan of. There are other cards that have higher limits on the spending categories than this one, but this is still a good card, nonetheless.
Some things about this card that I do like:
- A good amount of cash back
- Bonus offer
- Extra benefits
Some things about the card that I don’t like:
- Foreign transaction fee
- The reward amounts on certain categories are only up to a certain dollar amount
What type of reward are you getting?
The Blue Cash Everyday rewards credit card from American Express offers you the opportunity to earn cash back that accumulates in your account until it is ready to be used. The cash back must be applied as a statement credit but can only be redeemed when the rewards amount is $25 or more. Amex may offer you different ways to redeem your cash back; you may be able to redeem your rewards for gift cards or merchandise but that is at their discretion and should not be counted upon. It is also important to note that you can’t use cash back to pay for the minimum due amount on your bill.
Is there an annual fee?
This rewards credit card does not have an annual fee.
What is the rewards amount?
The Blue Cash Everyday rewards credit card from American Express offers a couple of different ways to earn rewards. You can earn 3% cash back at U.S Supermarkets, but that is only up to $6,000 a year in purchases and once that limit is reached, you will then only earn 1% cash back on those purchases. You can also earn 2% cash back at U.S Gas Stations and 2% cash back at select U.S Department Stores. If the purchases you make don’t fit in any of the categories previously mentioned, you will earn 1% cash back on those purchases.
Is there a bonus offer?
This rewards credit card has a $200 sign-up bonus. You must spend at least $1,000 in the first 3 months of your account opening in order to earn this statement credit. That’s a 20% return on the money that you would have spent anyway.
Are there foreign transaction fees?
Unfortunately, there is a 2.7% foreign transaction fee on the amount of each purchase in U.S dollars. This is unfortunate that they do have this fee but don’t weigh too heavily on this drawback because they do offer some other extra benefits that might outweigh this drawback.
Are there any other benefits?
The Amex Blue Cash Everyday rewards card offers extra benefits like:
- Car rental loss and damage insurance – the coverage offered by the rental company must be denied. Coverage is for $50,000 per rental agreement for damage or theft to the rental vehicle. Not all countries are included. Be sure to check the finer details
- Global assist hotline – you get 24/7 access to different kinds of services when you travel more than 100 miles from home. Services include medical, legal, financial or other select emergency coordination and assistance services, including medical and legal referrals, assistance with cash wires, passport replacement, missing luggage and more
- Entertainment access – you get exclusive access to a variety of tickets for a variety of events
- Fraud protection – you won’t be held responsible for fraudulent charges.
- Pay it plan it – you get two options to pay down the balance of your card
As you see, this Amex rewards credit card offers a lot of good extra benefits.
For more information on their benefits, check out their benefits page.
What is the interest rate and are there any other fees?
The American Express Blue Cash Everyday credit card offers a 0% introductory APR for 15 months from the date of the account opening. After the introductory APR ends, you can expect an APR between 13.99% and 23.99%; it depends on your credit score.
Their other fees include:
- Cash Advance fee – $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater.
- Late Payment Fee –up to $40
- Return Payment Fee – Up to $40
For more information on their fees, check out their fee schedule.
How is the customer service like?
There are a couple of ways you can contact their customer service. The first way would be to call the number on the back of the card. The second way to contact them would be through their online chat; you would initiate this chat by logging into your account and clicking on the “Chat” icon. It’s important to note that your experience with their customer service may vary from time to time and from issue to issue.
Should you get the American Express Blue Cash Everyday card?
I found the American Express Blue Cash Everyday card to be a solid choice
Who it’s perfect for:
- People who want a no annual fee credit card
- People who want a sign-up bonus.
- People who want the extensive benefits
- People who have a great credit score
Who it isn’t perfect for:
- People who spend more than $6,000 a year at supermarkets
- People who travel abroad or deal with purchasing products that’s in foreign currency
- People who spend money across all different categories
If you are still unsure if a rewards credit card makes sense, check out my post on Why You Should Use Rewards Credit Cards.
Additionally, if this card isn’t right for you, I invite you to check out my credit cards page for more information on other cards.